Saturday, October 6, 2007

Technique

I really had a hard time thinking what technique I should do. So, I decided to practice pulling out the rhetoric behind a recent conference talk just given.

I will be picking apart President Hinckley's Priesthood session talk on Anger. First, the ethos that he uses is evident. He is the president of the Church, and so is therefore the mouth piece of God. The screen keeps showing that he is the President of the church, so it reinforces the authority of what he is saying. He also appeals to emotion by his jokes, and clever stories. He spoke of a time when he was being yelled at and he just started laughing at the man that was yelling at him. Soon they were both laughing, and the conflict was resolved, but the fact that he used a playful emotion is persuasive. He also gave logical arguments that made people want to avoid being angry. One was that, happy is the man who can let offensive comments slide off him. Another argument that he uses is tricky for me, but I believe that this also appeals to authority, when he said to not ever lose control of our anger he says, " let wisdom's voice control." First, it appeals to authority because he was quoting someone (as if he really needs to quote someone for his ethos to go up), but it may also appeal to logic because logically people want to be wise, and therefore it is better to let wisdom's voice to control over anger's.

No comments: