Monday, October 1, 2007

F.W.

It was my first time going to a hospital this weekend. I can't remember if I have been before, but it definetly felt foreign to me this time. I have twelve nephews and neices, and for every one I have been out of the country when they have been born. Yesterday was my first time getting to see them while they were still in the hospital.
It felt like trying to break into a prison. I had to get on the fourth floor, but I didn't know that you had to get permission to get on, so when I met my first blockade, I just waited for someone to open the locked door, and I just followed behind them. After I realized that I should have probably just asked permission, I avoided eye contact with any employee that worked at the hospital. To my shagrin I couldn't find the room my brother and sister-in-law were in, so I had to ask a nurse.
When I finally got there, my sister-in-law looked so tired and weak, she wasn't wearing make-up, which was a first for me to see. She handed me the baby, and I was shocked to see that the baby actually looked very beautiful. I have never liked new born babies. They always look like lizards when they are first born. They change colors every five seconds, and their body just wobbles around all the time. But this baby was different. He was all proportioned, his head was nicely shaped. He was a good human color. It was an amazing experience.

No comments: