Free Write.
We just got out of class, and we talked about affirmative action. I was surprised how different people’s opinions were. Some people were saying that racism didn’t exist at all anymore, while others were saying that segregation was just as strong today as it was from the beginning. This was a real eye opener to me because, I tend to not notice real forms of racism at all. I am of the opinion that bringing up racism issues, at least in Utah, is just beating a dead dog. We are done; any attention is going to just make things worse. But, at the same time, it is interesting how there were others that fought opinions like mine pretty passionately. I was glad to see her speaking up. I am guessing that she believes there is racism today because she is part of the non-white minority. She is forced to notice race a lot more. Who am I to be making the laws or having an opinion of something I really don’t have to face all that much. At the same time, there were people who were included in the minority that shared the same exact opinions that I do. So, in Utah, I would say that it is more a personal complex, or insecurity, or stereotyping, rather than racism.
Monday, December 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment