Friday, September 28, 2007

RA

http://library.thinkquest.org/C0110901/imagesAll/crossalp.jpg
(sorry about the long address)

This painting is of Napoleon Bonaparte. This painting is very much a propaganda piece. In reality Napoleon did his famous crossing of the alps on a mule, but in this piece he is on a noble steed. Because I'm not sure the date of the painting I'm not sure the audience. But if it was a modern painting I would say it was a call to join with napoleon, but my guess is that is was after the actual battle, and its argument was that napoleon was leading a great cause. It shows that by him being the one pointing all on ward. His face is confident. The credibility is established by his decor. He looks extremely regal and as I said before, he is riding a beautiful horse. The horse itself almost looks happy to be there. Not only does the horse look happy, but also very healthy and strong. This seems to point out that there are provisions and success, and that they are prospering. The fact that napoleon is kicked back on his horse probably ignites the viewer with the passion of the cause. It almost feels like there is so much enthusiasm that he is going to gallop the whole way there. I also noticed that the wind is blowing in their direction, as if God himself was pushing them onward.

No comments: