Tuesday, September 11, 2007

anything I want to write

Persuasion is something that I have been interested in my whole life. Ever since I was little I have wanted to learn how to better persuade my brother to want to clean my room and do my dishes. As I got into high school I was reading books like “How to win friends and influence people”, and trying to figure out how to persuade people to like me. When I got on my mission it was all about persuasion. I remember a distinct experience when my Mission President taught me how to persuade my companion how to work harder. He pointed out the verse in D&C 121 that says, “No power or influence can or ought to be maintained only by persuasion….” Since I have been home from my mission I have wanted to find a way to take this method of persuasion into my career. With this background, I thought it would be interesting to tell you about how I decided my profession.
I have changed my major several times. I have always thought that I would like to go into business because that is what my dad does. He is an amazing man who is passionate about his business. I decided it would be smart to work for him. So, when I got off my mission that is what I did. I surprised myself at how well I did in sales. I became the National Sales Representative for the company. It was fun, but very soon I got sick of asking people if they would be interested in buying these specially designed papers that my dad’s company produced. I also got a job at the MTC. I absolutely loved teaching there, but I didn’t really enjoy teaching my mission language. I just liked teaching how to teach. But even though this was a real signal, I still couldn’t decide. Believe it or not, my decision was made in a very interesting way.
I did a study abroad in Jerusalem. It was an amazing experience. After going on an incredible field trip one of the days we were there everyone was exhausted. I remember everyone going to bed really early. For some reason though, I decided that I should stay up. I remembered that the CES fireside by Elder Bednar had just recently been given. So, I got on the Internet and listened to the talk. Looking back, the most spiritual part of the talk for me was the part before Elder Bednar even started speaking. The man that introduced Elder Bednar introduced Elder Bednar and mentioned that he had gotten his masters in Business and his Doctorate in organizational behavior. The spirit immediately bore powerful testimony that I was supposed to do that very same thing. I knew that that was my course.
Since that experience I knew that I was going to teach as a Professor at a University and Consult on the side. I wanted to teach Business Management skills, in particularly how to teach people to lead. In essence, I want to live at higher level, through school and through their work. I could talk about this forever, but I’ve already written too much.

No comments: