I am analysing the managers of summer sales in regards to selling satilite dishes.
I had a conversation this week that involved a variety of rhetorical techniques. First they began by trying to be really good friends, really interested in what I was doing. This was followed by a flood of complements. It seemed very fake to me. The new found friend then inquired about what my plans were for the next summer. I laughed and said that I had just finished this summer and wasn't quite mapped out that far. They then began to introduce me to the idea of selling satilites in Chicago.
From this point already, I have seen the relationship being developed as "peer." The compliments were used to apeal to my ego, trying to win me over. But now they take a different stance. They begin to tell me about all the possibilities of how much money I can actually earn. They told me that their friend make around 90 thousand dollars in just a few months. This was an appeal to the logic. What they didn't tell me, was how much they would make off of me if I worked for them. I just happened to know that on my own. Their overall arguement was that working for them would be the best thing I could do in the summer because it would make me the most money possible. It was slightly persuasive. I did need the money, so I was definitly fitting in their audience. I was simply shocked at how easily it was to detect the use of rhetoric in these peoples arguements. It was just oosing with usages of ethos, pathos and logos.
Saturday, September 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment